Heidi Cave will give you hope. Please take it.

In a bizarre coincidence, I wrote about running last week (which I’ve never done on this blog before).

A long-time blog friend Heidi Cave left this comment:

HeidiApril 12, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Love this post and, gawd, I miss running. I used to run silently, too. It was my time to ‘not think’ for a while and just concentrate on what was in front of me and what my body could do. Anyway. Now, I’ve adjusted, adapted…one of those words…and I walk. It’s not quite the same, but there’s nothing like fresh air and putting one foot (even fake ones) in front of the other and the peacefulness it brings.

Heidi Cave knows catastrophic tragedy first-hand. She know what it means to have burns over half her body, to lose both legs from the knee down, and to lose a beloved friend.

Heidi found her way through despair and physical destruction to once again create a beautiful, meaningful life—a new and different life, yes. Her recovery included months and months of healing and surgeries and painful rehabilitation, but also bonded she and her boyfriend to new depths. As a result they went on to marry and have children. I’ve followed her story on her heartfelt, honest, and often humorous blog Fancy Feet, and look forward to reading her book.

fancyfeetheader

Since hearing the news of the bombings in Boston, thinking of Heidi has given me hope. The survivors in Boston have a Herculean task ahead of them—both in grieving and in healing. Knowing Heidi gives me the faith that healing is possible—for all of us. I hope you visit her blog, and find peace there, too. And by all means, if the sun is out today where you are, go sit in it for a while. Maybe walk or run. As Heidi says:

There’s nothing like fresh air and putting one foot (even fake ones) in front of the other and the peacefulness it brings.

***

Please join me next week for a Mothers & More Webinar

Tuesday, April 23rd from 1:00-2:00 pm EST

The Listen To Your Mother Show Phenomenon: How one (now hoarse) woman started a cultural movement to give Mother’s Day a voice

Estelle Sobel Erasmus, award-winning journalist, blogger, author and LTYM:NYC 2012 cast member, will interview me about how I started the Listen To Your Mother movement, and what you can do to get involved with both LTYM and Mother’s & More, a phenomenal organization. Sign up here!

Mothers & More is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of mothers through support, education and advocacy. We address mothers’ needs as individuals and members of society, and promote the value of all the work mothers do.

I’m so honored to have this opportunity to support Mothers & More and share my LTYM journey. I hope you’ll join me.

• Anna See April 17, 2013, 8:43 am

Yes! Heidi gives us hope!

• Tara Pohlkotte April 17, 2013, 8:49 am

I love me some Heidi!

• Becky April 17, 2013, 9:17 am

Thank you Heidi and Ann… lots of hope out there.

• Erin Margolin April 17, 2013, 9:22 am

I love you both! Thank you for this.

• Lorna April 17, 2013, 10:01 am

Three cheers for her boyfriend who did not give up on her like so many might.

• Liz @ PeaceLoveGuac April 17, 2013, 10:12 am

Thank you for this.

• Roshni AaMom April 17, 2013, 11:03 am

Such an inspiring story!

• Heidi April 17, 2013, 3:15 pm

Thank you dear, sweet Ann. This was just the loveliest thing to see today. I was watching the news this morning when I saw your tweet and I was so touched. I have always loved your writing, your wit and heart, and this means a lot to me.

• The Empress April 18, 2013, 6:42 am

I love Heidi, and she symbolizes the amazing people I ‘d never have the blessing to meet if it weren’t for the internet. I met her through you, Ann, and she changes my life with every single post. Her words, her wisdom, her honesty, HER FIGHT.

I love that woman.

• dusty earth mother April 18, 2013, 9:33 am

Heidi, so inspired by you and so encouraged by this post this morning, Ann. I’m thanking God for you both right now. :-)

• Andrea April 18, 2013, 5:33 pm

I am so glad you shared Heidi with us!

• Marta April 18, 2013, 10:06 pm

I saw your running post, but after what happened. I didn’t know how to comment or what to say or if anything should be said. I don’t run. I mean I have, I did, I probably will, but I don’t right now. I don’t think of myself as a runner. I am a mother who has not had the tragedy of losing a son, I’m a friend who has not had the tragedy of losing one of her own friends. I don’t know what the families of the victims are going through. I don’t know what Heidi has gone through. I can’t. But I feel it. And it keeps going. Keeps me living despite the terror out there. I keep going. And Heidi is in fact such an inspiration to all of us to remember that.

• Joanna Jenkins April 20, 2013, 6:18 pm

Wow, Heidi. Thanks for introducing her to me.
    xo jj

• Heidi April 21, 2013, 8:10 am

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your kind words. It means so much to me.
    My heart goes out to the incredible people of Boston who are now facing the aftermath and searching for ways to heal.